Monday, March 22, 2010

My Fishy Holiday!


The sun was coming through the window of the car like hot burning knives. It was extremly hot in the back of our car. We were heading to Ponsonby for fishing. I sure hoped we didn’t catch a fish because I don’t like any sort of fish and because I knew that Mum would make Dad and me eat it for dinner. On the way to Ponsonby, we had to stop at Mt Albert to buy some bait. We went to a fishing shop and bought some frozen stiff squid bait. Yuck! It smelt horrible! Well kind of horrible. Half an hour or an hour later, we were in Ponsonby! But we still weren’t quite at our fishing destination. A couple minutes later, we had to stop again because we needed to buy some scissors to cut the fishing line and the bait.



Finally we arrived at our fishing spot. But the fishing spot was a bit crowded and plus there were almost no more parking spaces (almost everybody chose to go fishing that day!)! So we kinda had to wander around a bit to find a parking space and a fishing spot. Finally we found a parking and fishing spot. We went out to the back of our car to get the equipment but....... the fishing lines were tangled! I felt dismayed because it would take ages to untangle the fishing lines. So we began to untangle them. Boring! I wanted to start fishing straight away! There’s no time to untangle fishing lines....



Between 15 minutes and half an hour later, we finished 1 fishing line (yes we had to untangle the fishings lines or we couldn’t go fishing). Then we began putting the hooks and things on that line. That took us about another 10-15 minutes to finish 1 fishing line. Then I began to untangle the other fishing line because I was bored and because Mum told me so. But the second fishing line was a bit difficult because the line was caught in between the mechanism. But I did it in the end. Then Mum put in the hook and things. Then we were ready to catch some fish! (yuck!) Hip Hip HOORAY! (well kind of.)



After untangling the fishing lines, we were ready to start fishing. But when Mum threw out her fishing line, she threw into the seaweed patch. Which was very close to the rocks. Mum hadn’t done very well (she’s normally very good at fishing and casts the fishing line long away). Then she tried again, but that time it got snagged on the rocks or in the sea so we had to cut the fishing line. How sad! Then my Grandad tried and the same thing happened again! How frustrating. Half an hour later we finally got a really far cast. It was casted by Mum. Then we for some bites but none came. It was just a intsy bitsy nibble when we reeled it in. Then we went home after we packed our belongings.



While we were driving home, I thought to myself, “ I’m quite happy I didn’t catch a fish otherwise we would be consuming fish tonight!”


By Andrea. Watt - A.W


No comments:

Post a Comment